As the days start getting longer we search intensely just like the ancient mariner for a sign, an omen, a simple indication that we are on the right journey. We have listened to the rigging; not a sound. We have searched the sky; not an Albatross to be seen in the grey murk as the rains pour down. We have stirred the bilge water and peered into the depths; nothing. We have raked the sump oil and peeked behind the headlining; nothing. Alas the sign of a great omen has yet to make itself known so on onward we go keeping our highly tuned senses alert to the slightest prophecy.
But first you have to make the water!
So the watermaker is contemplating life on-board – where will it live, where will its pump go, what seacocks will be added, how will the filters be installed and where will the pipework have to go. Feel another headache coming on for which I need…….water.
Once the watermaker is in place we plan on waiting for the darkest night to onboard the horse and see what happens.
02/13 Latest update – it is now very difficult to find a horse in the UK!
We are fitting the watermaker modules to the bulkheads and reusing old 24 cables (which are rated at 50 Amps for the approx. 10m run and the watermaker at 24V will draw a max 25 Amps). Here we have fitted the second filter with the sea water line into the membrane together with the air-cooled pump power unit which is a large aluminium heat-sink.
The sticking point has been to re-use the existing thru-hull fittings. The to-be brine outlet is 1 1/2″ bsp and needs to be reduced to 15mm internal diameter. After weeks of searching we hope to have found the solution at pipestock.com
The existing 1″ thru-hull outlet blanked off alongside an active grey water outlet.
The existing 3/4″ sea water inlet to be T’d, ball valved and reduced down to 20mm
Meet AIS, VHF (back up) and SSB DSC now in place
and the operation requires jackstays and harness on land as ice covers the decks
and 65 metres of cable to run…soon to be about 120m with the addition of WiFi and SSB radio connections
And add Alfa WiFi
We have added Alfa marine WiFi which feeds straight through to a wireless router. Not that keen on the Alfa designed mounting bracket as it is not a closed ring bracket but will run with it for the time being.
Almost half way through the cable runs from the stern utilising as far as possible the original build routing. Access involves more boat yoga and a ‘special’ set of tools without which it would have been impossible
And the SSB goes straight into the slot we cut a year ago (banking on no design changes to the control head)
The relentless countdown to departure ticks away so a quick readiness check;
- Where’s the watermaker – hallway
- Where’s the tri-colour – kitchen
- Where’s the DSC antenna – garage
- the VHF antenna – rear cabin
- AIS antenna – shop
- New chain – boatyard
- Foghorn – shop
- Bilge pumps – shop
- SSB Radio – shop
- Ocean life jackets – shop
- New sails – in manufacture
- Dyneema for gybe preventer – shop
The next round of joinery removal, mast climbing, cable running, soldering and heavy gear placement is just around the corner – can’t wait!
This month is about securing the cooker – the hobs, cast iron stands on the gas side, fitting the pan holders and hopefully finishing the antenna tree with all antennas complete and in place including waterproof cable glands but this is a big ask for a winter month.